Friday, July 21, 2006

What's Growin' On: 7/21/06


Beautiful Bumblebee Hard At Work

Realization Of The Day:
All of my current obsessions begin with 'b.'

And right now I'd rather stare at this photo (in amazement) than at the storm-/insect-/lamb-ravaged space I call my garden (in disgusted bewilderment). (Yes, Cary has finally nibbled out her welcome among the raised beds. I'll spare you the photo of the entire two rows of bitten down bean plants I discovered this afternoon. Yeah, yeah, I know what some of you have been thinking all along (not you of course Yellow Dog): "She let a grazing animal into her garden--what the hell was she expecting?" My only defense is that I was blinded by motherhood. Is that a reasonable/usable defense? Well, now it is. The Privileged Animal is definitely losing her privileges.

But back to the bees. Everyone knows that bees are invaluable pollinators in the fields and gardens. But did you know they do other helpful things for us as well? Click here to read what my fellow shepherd girl pal (and wonderful artist) Katherine Dunn has learned from the bees in her lavender fields at Apifera Farm. ('Apifera,' by the way, is a Latin word for 'bee bearing.')

Love lavender? The Apifera Farm lavender bundles are ready!

2 comments:

  1. I would think she would like a little corn bread with her beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan had a little lamb...

    I can't remember the rest, but it end with the lamb moving in with Dan.

    ReplyDelete

March 2013 update: My apologies for the inconvenience - I know word verification is a pain - but I've had to turn it on to help stop the ridiculous number of anonymous spam comments I've been getting every day. Thanks for your understanding.

Welcome to InMyKitchenGarden.com! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. While I'm not always able to reply to every comment, I receive and enjoy reading them all.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I especially love to hear about what's going on in your own garden. I know, too, that other readers also delight in reading about your garden successes, failures, helpful tips, and lessons learned. Feel free to leave comments on older posts!

I try my best to answer all questions, but sometimes it takes me a few days to get to them. And sometimes, I'm sorry to say, they fall through the cracks, and for that I sincerely apologize.

I look forward to hearing from you and hope you enjoy your visits to my kitchen garden!